This isn't so relevant to this thread, but handdrawn mentioned degradation..

In January we bought our first 4K TV set - 55 inches, an update from our previous set which was HD - 43 inches. My daughter has a 55" 4K TV too. Quite a change from the widescreen 20" TV we used to love back in the day!

My daughter's partner had said that since buying that set he rarely wanted to watch non-HD content (besides 4K content), so I wondered if we would also dislike upscaling lower quality video to 4K.

I'm actually very impressed by how well the TV does to upscale video - it's processing the frames in real-time.

I've noticed it can recognise text and sharpens it so sometimes I've really been surprised at the crisp text that has no right to be so crisp on that source resolution.

I should think that in a few years time lower resolution footage is going to look great as AI processing will be able to interpret the footage to give much sharper pictures.

I have some 4K films and it was a WOW moment when I saw it.

Unlike my daughters partner, I don't mind the lower quality of old TV/films, but will go for at least HD if given the choice. I was looking forward to Wimbledon in 4K..

..diversion is over..