You guys are amazingly helpful but I keep getting into ridiculously baffling situations with Xara - I guess I am just not on the same wavelength as its designers, but honestly I NEVER have so much trouble with other software!

Latest is this: Open Xara Designer Pro X, create a new empty page, Insert|Shape|Speech Bubble. Now just try to re-size it: Click on it with the arrow pointer, the usual resize handles appear and the prompt in the status bar tells me exactly what to do, but try to drag them and nothing happens. Try typing a new value in the W and H boxes on the toolbar - I can type new numbers (or use the up-down buttons) but as soon as I hit enter they snap straight back to the original numbers and the shape is unchanged. Ditto skew and rotate handles - they are there as expected but cannot be dragged. Seems to be the same with several other Smartshapes I've tried. (Though limited, because Xara's web site seems to be down so on-line resources are not available.)

Last time I got into a head-bang like this, you guys pointed out what I was missing, but this one is just so damn simple that I cannot see what I could possibly be missing!