A good friend of mine has asked me if I can help him with a problem that he has, and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice, please.

My friend is the engineer at a processing dairy and he wants to improve the ease with which his engineers can access technical manuals when they need to know information for maintaining machines etc.

Currently all the pdfs (probably hundreds) are stored in an "engineering folder on one of the PCs on their site network" and he's considering purchasing "tough" tablets for the maintenance guys to carry round with them so that they have the information at hand, but he wants to improve the ease with which the correct pdf can be found and read.

As such, he's considering a " web style" front end which would be designed to allow "drilling down" to get to the correct pdf easily and quickly and has asked me if I can have a look at the problem, and I'm think about using Web Designer for this task.

Initial thoughts are that the engineering folder could be copied to a usb hard drive, so that the development work could be done and tested "away from site", which I don't think would be a problem, however, it does mean that the "path information" to where each pdf will eventually be stored will be different to the paths on the development PC, and there will probably be hundreds of these "paths" that will need to be changed once the development has been finished.

My instinct would be to use a "Find and Replace" command to change all the paths at the end of development, and I think this would have worked in the days when html web pages could be written using notepad, but not so sure that that will be the case now.

If anyone has any thoughts, I would really appreciate them.

Thanks.