I've been busy learning PhotoShop for awhile and now I've started doing a few Xara tuts to refresh my memory. I use Designer Pro X and had a few problems with the tut I was doing. This is no tut problems, it's just general Xara problems. First of all, when I was doing a linear fill, the directions said that to add another arrow station (node) by double clicking on the arrow.
Double click on the lower fill path arrow with the Fill Tool to add an additional color station.
This did not work for me. So I never really got the colors I wanted, had to take what I could get. So how can I add the arrow stations if not like that?

2. I've never been able to use the crop tool. It won't make a line around my image. I've read and re-read the help page and still can't get it to work.

3. When I am done with my creations/project, must I always save it unmerged? The only way I can find to merge it is to group it. Is there another way?

I hope this is not too much to ask but I'm going to start another tutorial and don't want to run into the same things again! Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.