Total newbie to Xara Photo & Designer 7. Bought a copy for a ridiculously low-price last year and am just now getting to looking at it.

I'm planning on using it to create slides, titles, backdrops/backgrounds for my powerpoint presentations for computer software training. So, some of the main things I'm interested in being able to do are(in no order of importance):
  • Fitting photos or diagrams (png mainly) into a specific size box
  • Adding some "punch" to text such as curving it around or having it fade out into the distance like a train track
  • Removing backgrounds completely and/or replacing backgrounds
  • "Fading" photos so they can be used for backgrounds in a slide

My problem is I don't know where to even start. (Yea, I know, the beginning....) or to put it another way where do I start? what site or sites are best for learning how to do the above list? Is there a site that can give me a list of the jargon so I can know what to even search for?

AND, If Photo & Designer 7 cannot do the above, does the new version? I can't see spending the extra money on the Pro version unless that will be my only option for this.

Thanks and take pity on a newbie. OH, and if this is not the right forum for this, please let me know and I will repost.

Bill W