I am doing illustrations for a document that I am producing in Word 2000. My problem comes when deciding how to get my images created in CorelXara (& now Xara X) in to Word.

A straight copy paste obviously just produces a bitmap (even if paste as Xara object).

Enhanced metafile (EMF) isn't interpreted correctly by Word (not sure if Xara or Word is at fault).

Xara EPS is not recognized by Word as valid EPS (although Ghostscript interprets it fine).

Adobe Illustrator or Artworks EPS are recognized by Word (but crash Ghostscript) & are not as nice as working with a format that you can see on screen as well (bitmap preview is just not the same).

That leaves me with WMF which does a pretty good job - interpreted correctly, can view & resize in Word, prints cleanly. The only down size is that it doesn't allow for curves - so any curves are turned into a whole lot of short straight lines.

I was hoping that maybe Xara X would sort out the problems with EMF, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Does anyone have any bright ideas about what the problem is, if there is a workaround or a better solution?

Cheers,
Tikka