Egad, I may have stepped in the doo doo. I resized the `C:\' partitions since it seemed to be getting a bit small.

I used Minitool Partition Wizard professional edition to do the resizing.

As it happens, Xara was the first thing I tried to start... The full error messages mentions that reinstalling may help. (I hope so)

============================================
o Magix Designer Pro

o The program could not be started. It's possible that the
o installation folder is damaged.

o Reinstalling the program could remedy the problem
o if the error occurs again, please contact support.

o error code: -6
============================================

I found a thread here from June 2010:

HERE

A fellow named `Sledger' responed with this:

This can happen if the setup file is damaged, Try downloading a new copy?
Also, a RAM error can cause corrupt installations.
If at all possible I would like to fix this without doing a full uninstall reinstall.

I wondered if what `Sledger' says is also true for Designer Pro, and where one might get a clean copy of the "setup file"?

I do have Designer pro installed on one other machine so maybe there.... but what is the name?

So far I've started quite a few other installed programs (like Adobe CS4 suite), and had no problems, even something that got installed with DPro (Magix Photo Designer) starts right up.

However "Xara 3D Maker 7" gives the same error and will not start.

so, more mess to clean up.

Any advice besides don't monkey with working partitions?

I did take a backup of C drive before making the changes, so I could probably put the partition back to its original size and overwrite with the backup image. Not sure I'd even need to size it back... but any way I go, it sounds like more mucking around than I want to do.