When I create a new brush in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 6 and then paint a line with it it paints in the original colours of the grouped object I used to create the brush. In Xara 6, it seems impossible to change the colour or to set a new default colour in the way that XARA 5 could.

I did discover that I could edit the brush settings and set the fill option to "All Brush Colours" then I can set the colour. However, the setting is not retained on SAVE and this process must be done for every line drawn - very tedious. The default seems to be "Named Brush colours" but using named brushes does not work either.

On the supplied default brushes in XARA 6 it is possible to set the colours easily. The problem occurs on new brushes created in XARA 6 where this does not work. If I create a brush in Xara 5 and import it into Xara 6 it works correctly. So it seems I need to have both Xara 5 and Xara 6 installed if I want to use brushes.

My question is this: So how does one create a new brush in Xara 6, use it, and easily give each instance a desired colour? Some help would be appreciated on how to do this.

After several hours experimenting I have come to the conclusion it is either not possible, not easy, or requires some techniwue I was unable to discover.