Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Fonts, Variants

Threaded View

Question Fonts, Variants

I don't understand why the following is happening when applying certian fonts.

I have Arial and Arial Narrow installed on my PC. They are in the Windows\Fonts folder as two separate TrueType files.

In Xara 5.1 Pro, I click on the Text tool, pick Arial from the dropdown list, click in the drawing area and type some text. Arial appears in the Used Fonts section of the Name Gallery.

Next I go to the dropdown list and pick Arial Narrow, click in the drawing area and type some text. Not only does Arial Narrow appear in the Used Fonts section BUT ALSO "Arial (all veriants)".

My understanding (incorrect understanding I guess) is that the variant denotation only should occur when you apply an attribute to a font, such as Bold, which was not native to the metrics of that TrueType font

Covoxer, or one of the programmers, can you please clarify why the Variant listing in the Used Fonts gallery and what specifically triggers it?

By the way, I did a search for "variant" in the Help File and nothing came up.

Regards, John
    Last edited by jclements; 11 December 2009 at 05:02 PM.