Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Lightbulb Need Seamless Tiles or Textures - Why not scan and make your own!

Are you looking for a seamless tile for that special project or web page?
    Can't seem to find the right one even after hours of searching?

Then I've got just the thing for you...
    and it's practically FREE!

Why not use that idle scanner or handy digital camera and Xara Xtreme to make your own? Like everything else, with just a little patience and a bit of practice you can create great looking seamless tiles and textures using the hardware and software you already own. That sounds just like a radio commercial or the start of an infomercial on TV. Fortunately, this is way better.

I was looking for a seamless tile made up of US coins and was 'spending' more time than it was 'worth' (bad puns, no extra 'charge'). I was about to give up when I looked over and spotted my trusty, old scanner sitting on my wife's desk. Inspiration had struck and I was quickly running about the house gathering up loose change. After several arrangements on the glass, one that was foiled by pocket lint, I had an image that was satisfactory. Using Xara Xtreme to post process the image, I extracted an area using a vector clipping mask before laying out my tile configuration. A final ClipView operation using a reference tile, a quick export to JPG and PNG formats, and I had a couple of seamless tiles I could use.

The same technique would work for M&M's, nuts & bolts, stamps, nails, rice, noodles, or anything non-liquid that would fit on the scanner glass. A digital camera would come in handy for any items that the scanner couldn't handle.

It's definitely worth a try, as you can see.

My 2 (plus) cents worth,
    HayTay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Coins Seamless Tile_256x256_B.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	59187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	US Coins Seamless Tile_256x256x9_C.jpg 
Views:	354 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	59191