Is it possible to make a layer visible but not printable, other than by setting it as a "background" layer?

I use a home-made CD-DVD full-face (i.e., small centre hole) label template, in Xara, and it works tolerably well. It has 3 layers: (1) the bottom being the artwork (usually a bit-image), followed by (2) a 118mm circular cut-out with a 17mm circular "cut-in" in the middle, which shows what I will actually get on my label, and lastly (3) a slightly larger big circle (120mm), to accommodate a bleed to cater for slight misalignment of the sheet bearing the blank label in my printer.

My workflow theoretically comprises (a) setting up the artwork within the bleed circle, then (b) making layer 2 visible to check that nothing important will be obliterated by the centre hole and that there's nothing important in the bleed edge, then (c) making layer 2 invisible so that only layers 1 and 3 are visible, and (d) printing it.

Sometimes, for varying reasons, I accidentally leave layer 2 visible just before printing, which messes up the final printout (unless alignment is very precise). I know -- you could say "Well just don't forget!" -- but it would be very useful to have something like a third column of tick-boxes in the Layers dialogue, called "Print", or something. In this particular instance, as far as I can see, I can't put layer 2 on the background, because the artwork has to be on a level behind level 2. Or have I got it wrong?

(BTW, if anyone wants the template, I'll happily upload it.)