We have had this discussion from time to time regarding proper monitor calibration. I was using Huey PRO from x-rite / Pantone for about a year but I was not very happy with the calibration colors. Often I had to go through the calibration cycle a half dozen times before I was happy with the results.

e-rite / Pantone switched out my Huey PRO for the eye-one 2 (i1) calibration system and this is much better.

I was having some problems with the calibrated color and fortunately have a contact at Pantone who walked me through the advanced calibration.

It turns out that my monitor was much too bright. The tech person said this is not good for your eyes if you are working on the computer all day. But the calibration is now very excellent although it is taking some getting used to with somewhat darker colors.

The other problem I was having is the calibration was not holding. I specified the calibration as my default monitor profile but when I rebooted my computer the calibration was gone and grays looked like goose shit green. It was not a pretty site.

This is apparently a Vista problem. But using a utility in the Start > Startup folder Logo Calibration Loader solved that problem. I'm not sure if this is a utility that is part of Vista or is installed with the eye-one software.

The tech also mentioned that with my bright monitor that printed output was probably printing darker. It was. He said that by bringing the white point down to where it is now, that my printed output would be more like the screen display. It is.

Just thought I would pass this along.