Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: Features that Expression has that Xara should have

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMyWords View Post
    I wasn't criticising your post Xhris, just 'adding' my agreement and expanding on that.
    I know

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Skeesick View Post
    As for Xhris' line of "I don’t feel there’s a significant difference between image creation using pixels or vectors." I don't know how I could disagree more. It doesn't matter if we'd like for there to be no difference. There is a major technical chasm between the two approaches to graphics whether we like it or not.
    J
    I was referring to the implementation in a graphics program rather than the practical approach to creating art. Expression's approach is to make clear distinctions between pixel and vector methods. I'm thinking of new approaches to unifying the two. The Xeus plugin for example got me thinking. A (relatively simple compared to Photoshop) bitmap editor loaded and you drew on a vector object. When you closed, that object acquired the pixel editing. I imagine a situation where any object can become a canvas (that could extend beyond the object itself). Pixel based operations can be performed on that object, and the parts of it which have been pixel-edited are rasterised, whereas the rest of the object retains it's resolution independence. The image below perhaps illustrates my thinking. Live effects share some similarities to this, however the effects are applied to, and therefore pixelate the whole object as far as I've seen.

The effects may not necessarily even need to be pixelated. Take vector feathering for example; blurring the edge of a vector shape independently of resolution. If you wanted to blur only one edge of an object and had a vector blur tool analogous to a pixel based blur tool - why can't that be done? Tools that work on both vectors or bitmaps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pixel-Vector.png 
Views:	297 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	32512  
    Last edited by Xhris; 25 November 2006 at 09:59 PM.