Quote Originally Posted by BPFowler View Post
That sounds like a new problem, and we would certainly be interested in seeing the error messages.

If you have the fink gettext installed, you could remove all verions of it - I am working on the basis that Xara LX needs gettext installed independently.

The fink automake 1.9 should be O.K. for Xara LX (but not for some other packages).

Ben.
I found this thread via Google and wanted to mention that I'm having the exact same problem making gettext from the Gnu package... autoreconf reports the following:

Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../build-aux'.
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `../../build-aux'.
autoreconf: configure.ac: AM_GNU_GETTEXT is used, but not AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION
lib/Makefile.am:57: required file `lib/strtol.c' not found
lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/strdup.c' not found
lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/regex.c' not found
lib/Makefile.am:118: required file `lib/memchr.c' not found
/usr/share/automake-1.6/am/compile.am: DEFS was set with `+=' and is now set with `='
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

Note that I am using Mac OS X 10.4.7 (Intel) with Xcode 2.4 (partial install from the distribution DVD, omitting Java- and Web-related tools).

The gettext tarball is 0.14.6.

The functions strtol and strdup are supposedly part of the GNU libiberty library, which are in turn supposedly distributed with gcc, gdb, and binutils. Althought I have gcc 4.0 installed, I can find no trace of libiberty on my machine, though man pages are present for the above functions.

HUH! I just looked up at the error messages again and noticed that the error message is from automake-1.6, even though I just downloaded and installed automake 1.9 via fink. Turns out 1.9 is installed in /sw/bin, while 1.6 remains in /usr/bin, which is earlier in my path. Reversing the path order got automake 1.9 to run when I called autoreconf, but now it generates a LOT of warnings similar to

/sw/share/aclocal/gtk.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GTK
/sw/share/aclocal/glib.m4:8: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_GLIB

Otherwise, autoreconf now completes without an actual error.

./configure also completes without error, but make ends with

ar cru .libs/libintl.a bindtextdom.o dcgettext.o dgettext.o gettext.o finddomain.o loadmsgcat.o localealias.o textdomain.o l10nflist.o explodename.o dcigettext.o dcngettext.o dngettext.o ngettext.o plural.o plural-exp.o localcharset.o relocatable.o langprefs.o localename.o log.o printf.o osdep.o intl-compat.o~ranlib .libs/libintl.a
ar: intl-compat.o~ranlib: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libintl.la] Error 1

It appears to me (a non-guru) that for some reason 'make' is concatenating the 'ar' command with the 'ran' command, separated by a '~', so that 'ar' sees a spurious filename 'intl-compat.o~ranlib'

But for the life of me, I can't figure out why this is happening or how to make it stop, despite manually editing intl/Makefile.

Anyway, for now I'm stuck, unless there's another way to get the required version of 'gettext' installed.