Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Question Closing unjoined lines??

Hi,

I have absolutely no experience with graphics and I'm practically computer illiterate, so please excuse me if my question seems asinine! I tried Paul Soderholm's guest tutorial (#49) for converting hand drawn sketches to colour vector pictures but got stuck at step 8. This step requires you "punch out" areas and close any unjoined lines. For the life of me, I can not work out how to close the unjoined lines. The tutorial suggests using a shape to close the gap (this bit I've managed), then I have to "add shapes" followed by "break shapes" and finally send the outline and solid filled shape to the back.

Ok - when I "add shapes", what exactly should I have selected? No matter what I do, when I go to "break shapes" it is never an option (ie it is always gray). So I've never gotten past trying to "add shapes".

Can anyone explain it in terms that a 2 yr old could understand (as I think this is probably the level I need)?

Also, is there no way to just close areas with a line?

I am trying to colour-in a picture of a rabbit, which I've attached. I need to make his ears red as it is part of a set of flash cards to teach body parts (I teach English to children in Japan). But one ear is a part of the head and hence gets coloured whatever colour I select for the head.

I apologise for the length of this post - but I've literally been tearing my hair out trying to make this work.

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated (I'd like to retain at least SOME of my hair!).

Sheri.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rabbitt -ears.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	23194