I don't know what xara purists Gary refers to. Throughout my involvement with the Xara Forums there has been no rules, official or otherwise, regarding xara only. There has been efforts to have the postings relate to Xara.

There have been vector purists who for reasons of their own try to do their xara images without the use of bitmaps. Sometimes their chatter on the subject might well make others feel that other forms of drawings are less welcome. You know how I have been posting xara images that make extensive use of bitmaps & filter effects - nobody has had the nerve to tell me to cut it out because it isn't "real" xara work. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Gary's Xara image is 100% xara (not that that matters). His importing an underlay created in another program should never have been considered unethical by anyone. Gasp --- Next thing we know we'll be considered cheaters if we sketch out our ideas on paper as we plan our designs! The whole 'cheating' thing is a weak concept - anything that isn't completely spontaneous has the potential to be called cheating. Looking at a live model - that would be cheating too if we expect artists to just intuitively "know' their subjects without reference. (We all have seen those who boast that they created their work without any reference pics or model - the implication being that that gives the work added significance - or perhaps an excuse for its lack of brilliance).

Laypeople do not understand artistic creativity; yet, they are the audience for most art. When we create art we are exposing something of ourselves to outside scrutiny. Our vulnerability causes us to internalize our perceptions of the expectations of those laypeople and have it influence our decisions. Seeking affirmation and approval is a very strong motivator, affecting even those who try to shake off its shackles to experience artistic freedom. Even when they don't want to be, artists are members of society and can't help but be affected by its values and culture. The laypeople's ideas (however illogical they may be) about artistic "cheating", impact on the perception of almost all artists. It is a staightjacket! Seek freedom by challenging your values. You may not break free of them but are likely to know more of yourself and others.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>