Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Step...

haha, that's funny Bill... vandamne with breasts...

Hey Mike,so I took a closer look at the arm, at the elbow joint, and it would seem to have some ugly deform to it... as shown here... so I suppose that is from manipulating at one point or another, and then when I chose the option to returm to original pose, the app did not generate the proper return point... hmmm... so if this happaens then ya really have to start all over, opening the model from the git go, and attaching the previuosly saved skeleton.... hmmm... is this right? is this just Carrara, or is it more likely I screwed something up when tweaking the skeleton for attaching, or what?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armbendugly.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	5583  

Just a guess but I think you might have a bit of twist at the joint. Just play with it till you figure it out. Is your model one mesh or is it made up of objects?

Hi Mike... yea, maybe just a twist

{edited} ha, it was the positioning of the bone in relation to the angle as you were suggesting...

so I have to watch my angles with this mesh... I wonder if there would be any difference if we pumped up the mesh denisity some, or lowered it some... maybe we have to factor in a few more bones, or scale the one's we have a wee bit better, or what?

Just how big are the bones supposed to be in relation to the mesh, and over what distance can/shaould things be applied...?

the mesh is all one there Mike...

Well, I hope you are a patient buddy there Mike, because I have a ton of questions...

I am reading the manual as I type here... geez, there is sure alot of stuff...

Hey Mike, do you have a copy of Carrara?

Well, after doing some more fooling around I think I should model a head, and do a few tweaks to the body mesh before going any further... hooboyo, once you get started with the creating a skeleton, well there's so much to it that you best be sure it is going to be worth monkeying around with... and a manequen without a head is just not doing it for me... time for some expression... be right back

here's a shot showing some prelim scaling of a sphere 6x6... never really have done a head with 6x6, most have been 6x8, but this one should be more simple... no? hehe, we shall see what we can come up with, and post some progress shots along the way...

Name:	headsphere.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	18.3 KB 
ID:	16879  

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hey Mike, do you have a copy of Carrara? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Ver.2 but I never used it.

Dig this, I upgraded to Poser 5 last week, got it UPS yesterday. The serial number has some strange characters, a dash like _ but instead of being _ down there its inverted and at the top of the line. So I tried a few combination of dots and dashes and couldn't get the prog to accept the ser #. I filled out a customer service request at curious labs explaining the problem, still have not heard from them, never the less I studied the ser # a bit and attempted to guess at what my unknown serial # characters should be, finally I inserted zero's as a substitute for the upside down _ characters and the program accepted the serial #. Yahoo! I'm in, what a relief. Now I am going to wait and see how long it takes Curious Labs Customer service dept. to contact me about the serial number delima. its been roughly 24 hrs since I reported the problem.

Oh and Silo 1.30c was just released too.

ah man, too bad on that, but hey, as ya say, your in now... that's good... hmmm, yea, will be interesting to see just how long it takes em to contact you...

Yea, Silo 1.3... maybe one of the better poly by poly creation modelers out there for sure...

That said, I will stick to my Wings3D... it has a very good virtual mirror, has some cool selection tools, sports a pretty straight forward workflow, and, for boxing stuff out, is just plain a unencumbered open workspace to work in... and it's free....

If Silo had Smart Highlighting, Bevel Verts, Select Similar, and the easy to use Virtual Mirror found within Wings3D, then I would use it in a heatbeat, because it handles high geom nicely, and it has a great isoline feature within it's superb subd set... however, if I have to trade off a solid Virtual Mirror for isoline display, I will stick with the VM.... it just is a way more involved with the process of modeling... for me anyways..

here's a quick update on the head... still very much in the homely stage eh lol

Name:	headsphereprogress1.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	3567  

Well, here's a wireshot, just getting the nose worked out... still have some places to fix up geomflow wise, but she's just about at that generic stage whereby you could open her up and change hair and or color etc... add a few details and ready to go sort of thing...

Name:	headsphereprogress1sm.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	5809  

and, well, the new head sort of fit's with this chars basic requirements... couple of tweaks left, maybe do up some fingers, and we be ready to add skeleton and do some poses, maybe even a walk cycle...

jeez, added some eye brows and, now looking at er I think she really needs eye lashes... just doesn't look right without eh... lol, it never ends...

Name:	heidi.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	10316