Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass vase

Default Glass vase

Have been trying to improve this since the January Stop & Post. The wall reflection still doesn't look right, but have enjoyed doing it........
    My computer is just about to finally give up, so thought I'd post while I can!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glass vase.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	94694  

Default Re: Glass vase

The vase looks great.
    The reflection in the table is brilliant.

But, I can't work out what that other thing is on the table, to the left of the vase as we look at it?

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

Nicely done Penny. Maybe drawing the shadow instead of using the shadow tool? I don't think the shadow would show in the table reflection, would it? I might be wrong.
    Sorry for the hurried draw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avase.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	94696  
    Last edited by Ron Duke; 24 February 2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: adding jpeg
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

That is beautifully done Penny. I think Ron is right about the shadow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Just my two cents worth, but, if the wall were reflected along with the vase then so would the shadow. Granted the wall and shadow would be very faint but I think they would reflect too. Pictorially it might not be the best thing to do but in reality isn't that what would happen.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Beautifully done glass effect Penny.

I would try doing a Google images search: just had a look for the terms ... coloured glass vase shadow ... and there were a few that look useful for information use, if you scroll about a quarter down the page there is a photo of two blue glass items - a vase and bottle (titled: Beach Glass Vases) which look similar to the type of effect you are looking for in terms of wall/floor shadow.

Regards

Su
    "If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life." - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

A very nicely drawn vase Penny, I think a different backdrop would have shown the vase off much better and maybe given you the opportunity of playing around with cascading light coming from the window.

See you
    Tabian

Shadows reflect like anything else. Imagine substituting a mirror in
    place of the table surface and this becomes clearer. However, how much
    reflection is seen is dependent upon the surface; a mirror almost 100-percent,
    black felt almost nothing.

Thanks everyone for the very excellent and helpful advice.
    Rik, you're right, the window highlight on the left doesn't add anything
    Ron, I did draw the reflection, rather than use the shadow tool, but yours is much better.
    Su, I found the Beach Glass Vases photo - perfect - just what I was trying to achieve!

If my computer is still alive (unlikely) in a day or two, I'll try it all. I now have to make doubly sure everything is backed up!
    Last edited by Penny O'Rorke; 25 February 2013 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Just my two cents worth, but, if the wall were reflected along with the vase then so would the shadow. Granted the wall and shadow would be very faint but I think they would reflect too. Pictorially it might not be the best thing to do but in reality isn't that what would happen.
    I see your point. I guess it would depend on the exact angle of the light source and how reflective the table surface. Penny's surface is highly reflective, so I guess it might reflect some of the shadow. However, if that were the case, then the wall should be reflected also because the shadow is on the wall, right? I think this is the picture Su referenced.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&b...2&tx=102&ty=64
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer