Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hi Ringo,

With around 2000 fonts installed, you probably have more installed than windows can accurately keep track of. All your fonts are registered in one key in the registry. One Key can be a maximum of 64K in size. The number of characters in the font names determines the maximum fonts you can accurately maintain.

As windows loads, it reads the registry. When reading the fonts list if the number of entries exceeds the 64K limit the memory used to maintain the list will be overwritten with the additional data. Windows will try to accomodate the user so it would appear to randomly replace different font names in the memory list. This would cause the problem to randomly allow some fonts to be remembered and sometimes not.

The companies that make font managers rely on this as the main selling point for their product.

If you truely need so many fonts installed, then I recommend you find a font manager that you like and use it.

When you see the fonts message when open a .xar file, it's because the font referred to in the file isn't in the memory list of fonts.

If or when Xara decides to embed fonts into the .xar file, this would still not resolve the number of fonts that can be maintained in memory at one time. When opening a .xar file with an embedded font, the font name would overwrite a name of similar length in memory. Which would make the overwritten font unavailable until another file with it embedded is loaded.

I hope this helps to explain what is happening.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hi Bill,

Well you learn something new everyday I guess. At least it sounds good.
    John/DOT

Gary

Of the Bitstream font managers which do you recommend - Extensis Suitcase or Font Reserve?

Is ES a buy-in from someone else?

Cheers
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Ringo

Xara does not embed fonts. If it did, you would not have the problems you are having.

CorelDRAW can embed a font with a file. This way, if you send a DRAW CDR file to another DRAW user and he or she does not have the fonts on her or his computer, the fonts are embedded and as such will appear as saved.

Xara, and most applications, just make a note of what fonts were used with what text. When you open a file, Xara looks at its notes and then searches for the same fonts you used when you formatted the text. If it cannot find a font or fonts, it usually substitutes your default font.

Admittedly this can be confusing if you have used many different fonts in a file and cannot tell which font was not found.

Simon

Bitstream Font Navigator comes with CorelDRAW. Extensis Suitcase is primarily a Macintosh application, which might be a good thing if it has a better way to handle fonts across platforms. The suitcase metaphor refers to putting similar fonts in the same folder (suitcase) and then activating suitcases as you need them. I think this program was built on old technology and I am not sure how relevant it is with the newer OSs (both Windows XP and Mac OS X).

I'm not familiar with Font Reserve. I use Bitstream because it works and it is free.

Gary

Gary

Don't lose your copy! I now see that "Bitstream no longer sells Font Navigator, we now offer a font management utility called Font Reserve. " so it is defunct. FN has version for both Mac and Windows.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Actually, it's only defunct as an independently available application. My understanding is that it will continue to be available with Corel apps.

I've used FontNav since before Bitstream acquired it, and I still prefer it to anything else I've seen. Nothing else comes close in terms of accessibility and ease of use. FontReserve looks like a cluttered mess in comparison.

The one drawback to my 7 year old version of FontNav is that it doesn't recognize OpenType fonts as OpenType. They show as TrueType. So far, that's a non-issue. Don't know if the version of FontNav released with current Corel apps does anything differently.

Default Re: Fonts being replaced in Xara X ??

Hope I am doing this right. I am using Web Designer 6. I opened an existing web site (one I created a long time ago) and it says that I am missing fonts. I go to the Doc info and it tells me what fonts are not there. How do I find the text with the missing font in the document so I can replace the fonts?

This thread is really old, and it may not be the right place for your question. Plus, I don't have WebD 6, so I can't look to see if this answer will work for you. That said, try this. Open the Name Gallery (Utilities | Galleries | Name gallery), and look for section called "Used fonts". Click the circle to the left of the font name. A bounding box should appear around the text.

Web Designer 6 does not include the Name Gallery (one of the Designer Pro 6 features).

Without the Name Gallery, the quickest way to find where a missing font is located is to use the Text Tool and simply click within each text block. The font within the block will be displayed on the Infobar.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

So if I upgrade to Designer Pro 6, I would be able to open the website file form Web Designer 6?