Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default PDF and drop shadow transparency

Hi,

Is there any way to preserve transparency on drop shadows in pdf export?

Currently I manually export the shadow in png and import it back in Illustrator.

Thanks,

Marc

Default Re: PDF and drop shadow transparency

Very similar problem to one that is just down the page. Convert to Editable Shapes + ungroup your drop your drop shadow and create a bitmap copy, then place the bitmap copy behind the object (Ctrl+Shift+S, Ctrl+U, Ctrl+Shift+C, Ctrl+B). Make sure when you are making your bitmap copy that True Colours + Alpha is selected. Then export the PDF as normal can't see why you have to use AI? cos if you used Xara the same way, you could import the .png file back in, that is if I understood your problem properly!
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks Albacore, I will test this.

A client wants AI files so I ran into that problem with transparency and sahdows.

I used the Png export as a workaround, but I prefer not to fiddle much in Illustrator.

It's a shame shadow doesnt export with alpha though...

Marc

What I think is happening is that the shadow on export is masking a darker version of what is under the shadow. When you open the PDF in Illustrator, which I just did in CS5, I can select the shadow and the object casting the shadow as separate objects. Without the need to Ungroup them in Designer.

But the shadow shape has become the masked, and darker version of the background.

So if you must pass the file through Illustrator, then create a solid filled shadow shape with no transparency (do this with a shape and not with the Shadow Tool, then apply your transparency and edge feathering in Illustrator (Effect > Stylize > Feather). This way the transparency becomes a native Illustrator object and not a masked bitmap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadow.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	77555  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 06 November 2010 at 04:32 PM.

That's what I was going to say Gary! If you are going to use AI then use Illy to do the special effects like bevels and drop shadows and even transparencies, Illy will do the masking for you which will be far more reliable when saved as PDF but please remember to set your "flatner pre-sets" at the correct resolution for print.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Thanks for the pointers guys!

I will try this approach in the next illustrations.

I wanted to keep my xar files as 'masters' but I guess this solution will be easier.

I'm not extremely familiar in Illustrator and use it mostly as a file translator, for certain specific tools or special effects.
    I really like the dynamic line width adjuster though.

Speed is the major incentive here, things get done with xara.

Marc