Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Noob question- must my site sprawl out like this?

Hi, first post, 20 hours or so into Xara. I've done amateur design before in Dreamweaver, now I'm redoing this website in Xara.

Question first: Really? I can't organize my site into folders? All the pages just have to run on, one after another? Working in Dreamweaver organizing my pages in folders was imperative for my sanity, and, while I like Xara so far, I'm dismayed that the interface just puts one page after another... I'm the guy that puts the screwdriver down and can't find it 30 seconds later.

If I'm mistaken, please enlighten me.

But if it's true then Xara really should have this ability- even if it doesn't upload in the folders, that doesn't matter- just so I can focus on the section I'm working on. Just another level in the Page Gallery would work, with a collapsible/ expandable tree... even better if I could also expand and collapse right on the page. (Also another level could be linked to repeating objects, too, repeating in one folder but not in another.)

Okay, I'm just a few hours into my learning curve, so maybe I've overlooked something- it's a lot to take in for a guy who's always used Adobe stuff.

Thanks,
    Joff

Default Re: Noob question- must my site sprawl out like this?

Hello Joff,

Welcome to Talkgraphics.

The best way to learn new software is to forget how your old software does anything.

Look at the new software as a totally new concept and must be learned from scratch without trying to compare it to other programs.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Agreed, but... well, my question is, am I correct that that is my only option?

[Edit] Don't get me wrong- it's not like Dreamweaver did this for me... I organized my files into folders myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Giordano Bruno View Post
    I'm dismayed that the interface just puts one page after another...
    The Document interface of Xara Web Designer is based on Xara Xtreme. WD is a subset of Xtreme, the vector graphics application.

When you export your multi page site, each page is separated into *htm file.
    You can customise the name for these in the Web Properties>>Page options.

All resource files (graphics, .css and .js) are exported the the index_htm_files folder.

As Bill suggests, forget about what you already know until you know Web Designer

I'm catching on to these points, where it comes from and how it works. I like the software and plan to continue using it. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned other software... I just wanted to know if I'd overlooked some option somewhere.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned other software...
    That's fine, if you didn't we couldn't have told you to forget it

Did you have a read of the WD preamble:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=36425

(note: Although posted by myself, this was written by Xara)

Joff did you ever create a mock up of a web page using a graphics application?

Working with Web Designer is similar in concept. You put your graphics and text where you want them to be in the completed page. The beauty is you can export to a fully functioning web page rather than just an image of a page.

Added pages are similar to additional pages within a pdf file. You can scroll down or up to get to adjacent pages.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

No, I've never used anything like this, I've never done vector graphics, that preamble was the first thing I read about Xara... I would never in my life have taken the time to learn that other software well enough to make a website as dynamic as what I've done with Xara in my first 20 hours.

All your points are well taken.

When I have more experience I'll let you know if I still think my original point might have some merit for future development... after all, it is a product which markets itself towards the uninitiated- a noob's first impressions might be of some value.

Point taken Joff.

People from Xara do visit the forums. Hopefully they will take note of your posts.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Giordano Bruno View Post
    after all, it is a product which markets itself towards the uninitiated- a noob's first impressions might be of some value.
    Sure, but you stated in your first post that your own initiation was with Dreamweaver.
    The target noobs probably aren't DW savvy

Anyhow, glad to have you here, and look forward to your 'info flamingo' revamp