Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using an image map in Web Designer

How do I go about using an image map to create links?

I have tried using a placeholder to insert the image map code but am at a loss as to connecting the usemap="mapname" in Web Designer image properties.
    Last edited by terrytnt; 01 November 2009 at 07:51 PM.

Default Re: Using an image map in Web Designer

Quote Originally Posted by terrytnt View Post
    How do I go about using an image map to create links?
    Fastest easiest WYSIWYG way I have found is to draw a new 99% transparent shape over the parent image (or part thereof) and add a link to that.
    Works the same way

Ok, Your logic sounds right, but I cannot find anywhere in the shape I created to be directly over the one part of the image I need to link somewhere (I have 6 total shapes to create for links) that allows me to modify the shapes transparency to 99%. I could use a shove in the right direction here as I think this will work as you advertise instead of an image map.

Terry

Here's a quick example of what I mean.

Does it help?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sledger, you are right on, but doggone it I still do not see where the setting is to change transparency to 99% on a shape.

Terry

Here it is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	transparency.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	67290  

Sledger, Thank you very much......this old guy finally stumbled over the winglass and am suprised it didn't bite me .

I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Terry

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

This only works for rectangle shapes. If you have several complex shapes that are next to one another and that you want to be an image map, this method doesn't work so well and using flash is your alternative. Just an FYI. I'm not sure what you want your image map to look like.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Eric,

I had 6 seperate non-overlapping rectangles so Sledger's solution works perfectly, but after receiving your reply I tried a circle, it worked, then added 4 rectangles and combined them and it worked as well. Why do you think only rectangles will work?

Terry

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Hi Terry,

I think that if you try it out, you will find that the circle you have created actually has corners. Basically, Xara creates a rectangle out of whatever shape you create. So if you have a single picture, with several polygons that are next to one another, you will have overlapping rectangles that may not function exactly like you expect them to. It sounds like this doesn't apply to you, which is great. I was just mentioning the fact in case it did apply for you and for others that read this thread. In other words, for completeness.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.