Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Sizing Windows windows

I recently bought a nice Samsung 22inch screen. One of the advantages of a wide one is the freedom to have two documents side by side. BUT what this needs is a quick way to maximise the height of a window - the ideal solution is a button to go next to the Minimize/Maximize/Close ones.

I've downloaded a little app called Sizer (www.brianapps.net/sizer.html ); you can set a window specification and then run it for an open window, but it does need a right-click/point/click action. And I'm a lazy b****.

Have you seen a perfect solution? Thanks.
    Simon
    ------------------------------
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Default Re: Sizing Windows windows

Are you looking for something different to WindowsXP 'Tile Vertically' and Windows Vista 'Show Windows Side By Side' ?

You can display any two windows side by side on the desktop by first clicking a window’s button on the Taskbar. Next, press and hold the Ctrl key and right-click the second window that you want to open, then click Tile Vertically ('Show Windows Side By Side' for Vista). This works great when (for example) you want to view two Word or Internet Explorer windows at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sidebyside.png 
Views:	146 
Size:	12.7 KB 
ID:	42314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrange-align-windows-on-desktop.gif 
Views:	148 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	42315  

Thanks; never knew you could do that!

It is strange how the brain gets brainwashed into a particular way of working and learning something for the subconscious area is hard.

For almost ever I have had two windows open and dragged to horizontal rectangles - one called 'Desk' which has files and shortcuts to files that I am working on, and another to the ancient Norton Filemanager which I still use all the time. On a (smaller screen) I then tend to maximise everything else, except Outlook. But this makes no sense on a big screen - there is room for two things maximised-ish, and if you fully maximise, you have to work your eyes and trackball/mouse very hard.

Your solution *may* work - if I can teach my brain to use it.

What I would love would be as per the attached.... a fourth button at the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

This Freeware could possibly help you?

I'd actually appreciate the Xara Dev' team bulding WXGA support into Xara child window tiling?
    Currently it only supports stacking (tesselate) of open documents rather than side-by-side, which is not so handy with wide-screen monitors

you can always open two instances of xara and tile as per windows?
    you can even open the same document in each at different views.....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Yes of course - but if you would loose part of your tool bars in both instances.

yes - good point
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sledger: WinSplit is brilliant! This is one of those bits of software which deserves a donation.

The best trick is the little transparent toolbar - so that rather than remembering a bunch of shortcuts you can just click.

Thanks.
    Simon
    www.tlaconsultancy.co.uk
    www.bricksandbrass.co.uk

Simon and Sledger
    Thank you. What a marvellous piece of software it will save me hours of messing around
    regards
    amotl