Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Resolution of pasted Xara OLE objects in Word

When pasting objects copied from Xara into Word as OLE objects, they print as jpgs at a resolution of just 96 DPI. Is there a setting/method of enabling the pasted objects to display/print at a higher resolution? When designing documents to be printed, the low resolution is proving a problem. The direct copy-paste functionality between the two softwares saves lots of time in exporting images and subsequent edits, but it's unfortunate (and ironic) that it appears to be resolution limited.

Default Re: Resolution of pasted Xara OLE objects in Word

As far as I remember, a good solution is, to scale the drawing within Xara Xtreme up to 300% and after that, insert it into Word (where you has to resize it again, but the quality is good).

But I wouldn't recommend to work with the Windows Clipboard, because there are some more general problems with copying bitmaps through the Windows clipboard:
    see also Use Copy/Paste or Save As/Import

Regards,
    Remi

What you suggest would work for bitmaps being copied from old versions of Xara to Word. Never versions copy editable Xara objects/groups and paste as OLE objects in Word. They scale as vectors but always display as 96 DPI. I'd recommend you try it, it's very handy and saves on exporting, and saves a lot of time making edits. My tutorials make extensive use of it.

As far as I know, OLE objects are inserted in Windows bitmap format (BMP) or Windows Metafile (WMF) - that's because of the underlying OLE mechanism: OLE container (like your Word document) don't know other formats like BMP or WMF. The BMP file himself could also contain JPG or PNG files and serves as a "Container" for these files.

If you drag a drawing from Xara Xtreme to a OLE Windows application. Xara Xtreme has to convert the drawing into a BMP or a WMF first. But I don't know if it's possible to change the 96 DPI standard resolution together with OLE. If this is possible, the Xara developers could offer a option, in order to change the DPI value.

Remi

I've searched for one, in both Xara and Word but can't seem to get it to work. It would be nice if Xara could support this to help this great feature reach its full potential.