Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Astrolabe

Threaded View

It has been a while since I last posted anything significant in this forum, largely due to lack of inspiration recently. However, I have been working occasionally on a model of an astrolabe, and the recent release of Xara3D6 prompted me to try it out on that.

One of the problems I have been having with this model more than anything else I have worked on, is that both XaraX and Xara3D have been mangling moderately complex vector objects. There are only four objects in the model, largely based on simple circles with lots of short lines subtracted to create graduated scales, and also some text is subtracted. This gives an inscribed look in Xara3D, with a 60 degree bevel.

In XaraX, doing this subtraction can cause the smooth edges of the circles to become a series of short and sometimes not so short straight lines, and the lines marking the scale graduations are often jagged, and not cleanly cut. On top of this, even objects that look OK in XaraX are sometimes severely distorted when imported into Xara3D, with extra lines and gaps appearing. The image I am posting here if I can get it to work with the new forum s/w, is currently a good one, though it is lacking a little detail in places, yet.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small_astrolabe_2_3d.png 
Views:	662 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	17097