Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon thread

Hybrid View

Hi Stu,

Ok...I've tried discussing this same 'bone' vs' 'bone' issue with other 3d artists (some who are far more experienced than I), and even THEN we could not get the point across easily when dealing with different types of 'bones.' Even worse...I come to find out there ARE no official terms to differentiate between a bone that you animate with and a bone that is a part of your model. So don't feel bad at all Stu, so far everyone I've talked to about this has gotten just as confused.

I hope this helps. I'm posting an image which I hope will at least put us on proper speakign terms when it comes to these bone discussions. We're dealing with TWO types of bones. I'll try to make each type clearly defined below, but please, if you have a better way of differentiating between these two types, speak up! I'm quite open for suggestions! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

control bone - a more specific term for the commonly referred to tool that most 3d programs call 'bones'. This type of bone is not a physical polygon mesh. It will NOT show up when you render. Rather, it is a control handle, which allows you to deform your 3d model, setup joint restrictions, and setup forward/inverse kinematic chains. They can be connected together through a child/parent hierarchy.

model bone - a term used to describe a bone which is part of the physical polygon model. For instance, if one were trying to model a skeleton, the object would consist of many model bones. These bones are made of polygons and they will show up when you render.

Now, I hope that doesn't confuse the issue more...and please Stu, if it does, say so. If we can't discuss 3d at this level then it puts a real dampener on the forum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Ok...so lets hope this clears it up. In the image below, I show how LightWave highlights the "control bones" as yellow. Those control bones have little red, green, and blue arrows coming from their base for manipulation. They aren't physically there though, so they won't show up when rendering. They are only used to modify and manipulate the polygon mesh. On the image to the left (with the black background) you can see the rendered version, and how the control bones don't show up. The model bone DOES show up, because it's a part of the model, just like the eyes and teeth are a part of the dragon model. Let me know if this explanation is clear and efficient enough to use Stu...if so we can go ahead and use these two specific terms when we need to differentiate between different types of bones... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bone-VS-bone.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	16506  

I like this shape and texture a whole lot beter than the original [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

What do you think?

Stu.

Name:	Dragon.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	4112  

Ok I have finally got a shape for the Dragon that I can live with,and its all made from the original primitive cube [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

This is just the basic shape as I will add fins and scales etc later.

Stu.

Views:	655 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	20124  

Thanks Earl.

I think I will spend some more time on texturing and then attack the neck section.I think I should study texturing in the manaul a bit closer just to be sure I am not missing anything really important [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ps if something doesnt look good please say so its ok to be blunt [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I wont sulk on ya [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers.

Stu.

That's really starting to take shape there Stu. Lookin' good. It's funny to think that these shapes come from boxes...as they don't even resemble boxes once they're done. All in all, I'd say the box is the most useful primative in a 3d program.

I really like the ridge and bumps going down the center of the skull. Very realistic (for how I see dragons anyway). The eye placement looks good, and the skull shape above it accents them nicely. You could have a lot of fun with expressions once this piece is complete. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The only thing that seems odd to me is the inner side of the "ear" (or fin). Perhaps it's just my angle, but that center inner flap looks a bit odd. Like I said, it could just be my view...I bet if I saw it from the back or from a very front facing perspective it would look perfectly normal. So Stu, is that an ear for the dragon? That was my first impression. Then I thought that perhaps it was a fin, and the ear a small opening hidden within the folds, like other lizards/reptilians.

It's really starting to look impressive. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Heres an arm I made today.I decided to make it more humanoid to make the muscalature look more realistic,it still needs a few tweaks but I think I have the shape pretty accurate now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Stu.

Ya I got lazy when it came to the wings Earl [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I was about half way through and found that using too many nurbs was taking up way too much memory so I kinda panicked for a bit and stopped going for so much realism.I think a realistic Dragon would have aspects of a Lizard and Rhino and a few other animals also.But I have learnt truckloads about modelling and I think if I did it again I would take my time doing it and get everything spot on before moving on to the next piece,and I would definitely be more careful with my meshes [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Welcome guys

Earl I have done some more work to the dragon since the last render.

I have no idea what happened to the texture on the left eye as opposed to the right as it looks like the texture has slipped but the eyeball is an exact copy of the right hand side and just moved down the x axis,could it be lighting that has made ths unwelcome effect?

I am thinking of re doing the dragon skin texture actually to get a better sort of result.

I want hyperish realism guys all comments welcome,let me have it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

I like that second ear better. It 'flows' with the face much more naturally. A gold or chrome-like dragon could look really good. I think most colors on a dragon could look good if done right. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hows this Earl?

I had a play with the bump map and added some irregularities like you said might be a good idea [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Stu.

Views:	262 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	10954