Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thanks for your kind words, guys, but I want to reply to Klaus' comments. You said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The secret of Art is contained in two words: Selective simplification. If you do that well, you'll be a Man yet, my son. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Cistine Chapel is just one of a million examples that makes a mockery of that statement. If you start to attach 'rules' to what I or anybody else considers art you're turning it into something akin to a dogma or a religion at which point we might as well bugger off and go home. You said in an earlier post:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I want to voice a sharply dissenting voice regarding the alleged "subjectivity" of art: that different people have different *emotional responses* to a particular work of art does NOT establish the indisputable truth of such subjectivist banalities as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The opinion you voiced about my illustration was highly subjective but you are perfectly entitled to it. However, do not be so arrogant as to assume that because it is your opinion, it must be the only one or even the 'right' one, if there can be a 'right' one. You said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> No offense, but any fool can copy a photo - I'm not as impressed by photo-realism as many around here. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad to hear it - if everybody agreed (or worse, was forced to agree) with your or my opinion the world would be worse for it. No offence taken, Klaus, but I, as opposed to you, am impressed with photo-realism and have been for years since I started working with the airbrush. Some of the photo-realistic work around here and elsewhere is stunning and really gets my artistic juices flowing. If you don't like it, by all means say so. In the immortal words of Voltaire:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--
    Big Frank was
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking.... Stonking....

I'd post some more comments but I have to wipe the tears from my eyes first.

Simply beautiful.

Peter
    The style challenged Pete'sCrypt

Luckily I'm speechless with admiration - penny

Frank: "The Cistine (sic) Chapel is just one of a million examples that makes a mockery of that statement. "

Nonsense. The Sixtine Chapel is just as much an instance of selective simplification as any other great work of art. It is a highly COMPLEX design, yes - but that's perfectly compatible with selective simplification: if not for that, it would have been a royal mess.

I'm ignoring your other comments - for now. Luckily for you. :-)

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

My disagreements with Frank nothwitstanding, I hereby nominate him for the XaraX Hall of Fame!

:-)

K
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

I liked Nadia (the splittie), but the ink-bottle and pen are awesome. I was looking at the picture, muttering about why it isn't fair that talent is so unfairly distributed, when Owen, one of my PhD students wandered by on his way to kick one of the experiments:

"Why are you staring at a photo of an ink-bottle?"

"It's not a photo- it's a vector drawing."

"**** off, you're always kidding me!"

"Okay, look at the wireframe version below."

"****ing hell!!!"

I guess that about sums it up. Think I'm gonna show the ink bottle to George (sad Illustrator-fixated prof) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
    Phi

Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.
    Trust the computer industry to shorten 'Year 2000' to 'Y2K'. It was this sort of thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Sistine! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hmmm... language? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
    (See later posts!)

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

[This message was edited by Peter Duggan on May 16, 2001 at 15:08.]

So it's a photo-realistic drawing? Or it could pass as a photo?

IMHO, it's much better than that! Look closely at the blues of the bottle and there's a really painterly quality there too, with the elegant simplicity of bold brush strokes. Subjective, perhaps, but IMHO (again) it's a true work of art!

Peter</p>

Peat Stack or Pete's Tack?</p>

That's Great! Thanks for posting it.

Hey Klaus,

Seems I remember being impressed by a similar image but of a shinny chrome microphone done in the "featured Artist" section of the XaraZone a few years back......Why that was your work, as I recall! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]