Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Affinity Designer has a new ***PRO*** feature!

it's only in AD beta at the moment and currently that is rather flakey; but it looks good so far, as good as illustrator if not better; the line profiling tool is clunky in comparison but even that is way better than anything xara can provide

@acorn
    - there we go again [are you there ChrisM] digging the field with a teaspoon I know that work around are useful to know, but if you are sculpting lines as a matter of course, it is going to take forever...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Lightbulb Re: Affinity Designer has a new ***PRO*** feature!

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    @acorn - there we go again [are you there ChrisM] digging the field with a teaspoon I know that work around are useful to know, but if you are sculpting lines as a matter of course, it is going to take forever...
    I am sorry handrawn but if no one rarely ever mentions what's is possible in Xara, however messy, how are we to compare and decide what we really need? I appreciate your observation - "We are going to need a bigger teaspoon!", to misquote JawsTM.

If I'm at the teaspoon level, where is @ernie-f with his woodcut designs of Dürer's work - Albrecht Dürer and my passion for woodcut art?

I was setting the scene.
    What is being asked for?
    The ability to tweak and line at any point or create your own Stroke shapes?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

no need to be sorry acorn and I was not getting at you

long time ago everone said how quick xara was and how it was not bloatware; I don't see it that way any more, in fact the more I learn the more i think it maybe never was, no reason to disagree

the teaspoon analogy only works if there is a much better way of doing it that is easier and faster; I am inclined to think of ernie-f as being closer to a fine-art painter [such as dali] that sometimes uses a brush with only one hair because it gives more control of fine detail; I don't do fine detail, it is very hard to animate

both approaches work; the artist chooses
    Nothing lasts forever...

from my perspective, if I were to ask it would be both as they both have their uses...
    Nothing lasts forever...

It would be possibly nice to have but in no way a ground breaker as it's fairly limiting in the brush type you can make in my opinion. I prefer the Xara brush which is far more flexible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	134859  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

not really sure how brushes crept into this thread - sure you can use the tool to make a profiled line and make a brush from that, but it is the making of a profiled line that it is for; design it on the fly, change it on the fly...
    Nothing lasts forever...

Which seems to be the same exercise as using a Xara brush. I'm changing over to a new PC & haven't got AD installed at present. I'll give it a try when I have.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host