Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: BUT IS IT ART?

Threaded View

Default BUT IS IT ART?

I read an article on AI in a publication from my Alma Mater, Art Center College of Design, that compared AI generated art to the introduction of the computer for design in the late 80s.

I was in the small group of advertising art directors and graphic designers that saw how a computer could be a valuable tool for the work we did. And it made me think. Hmm? Maybe I need to get behind the ball on this AI generated stuff.

And I can see many examples of how I can use AI to generate patterns and maybe try to teach it how to make depth images (which would be major).

My first AI generated image was the result of a simple instruction: Imagine a frog on a skateboard going down a steep waterfall. And in moments I had an image.

There are several Facebook pages now that are crammed with AI generated images, some of them incredible, but is it art?

Most of the images seem to look alike. As if as an art director I gave an assignment to an illustrator to illustrate a specific concept.

And, sad to say, AI generated art is going to replace illustrators and photographers and graphic designers.

How do you feel about this? Discuss.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gwpriester_18291_a_frog_on_a_skateboard_going_down_a_waterfall__87c9e151-d0e1-4012-9e4a-454e43d6.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	134156