My $.02: Much as many of us fight subscriptions, I would guess that Xara's previous business model was not sustainable. Just a guess. I am still on version 17. I remember several years back, Jetbrains (programming tools) went from purchase to subscription. To say it was met with anger would be an understatement. The (negative) comments to the blog announcing it went on for days. They made a change, went to a subscription model with a perpetual fallback license after one year. You can keep using at a level 12 months prior to the date you cancel your subscription. Maybe something for Xara to think about. Version 17 proved to me that my graphics skills were sadly lacking. I did create a website with it, as well as some layouts. My clients suggested that I keep my efforts on programming and support and leave graphics to someone with skills.

My operating system of choice is Linux. I run programs like Xara in a Windows virtual machine. I run Mac stuff on a MacBook, an old one. Xara runs fine in a VM and I can move it to a new system if necessary, just copy the files. Same for backup. I run a lot of Open Source but also buy proprietary software. Now dabbling in that magical, hyped up, world of AI. Great for surveillance camera software, eliminating false alerts. AI tools are open source, NVR software is purchase with support subscription.

My admiration for the skills I see on these forums is boundless. The only reason I lurk here. Keep up the fine work.
Lou