Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Affinity Publisher

I think this may have been new to AD2 Rik
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

Hi Rik, an alternative approach to putting objects, experiments, alternative versions etc off-page (in AD) is to use artboards. They do clip content to their edge, but you can easily change the size (like dragging the edge of an unlocked Xara page) and you still have the option put whatever you want on the area outside the artboard.

When opening an artboard based AD file in Affinity Publisher I think you now have the option to convert the artboards into page spreads.

Here’s a link to some more info (in the help file! ):
    https://affinity.help/designer/en-US...ut%20artboards
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022
    IP

I have done ALL my drawing in XARA using the Shape Tool.
    This is the main reason why I never got anywhere with Illustrator or any other programme.

And I think I would try AD again, if that tool existed.

I just cannot use the Pen Tool.

Sincere apologies, Gary, for going off topic here.
    And I promise not to do it again.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone
    IP

Rik, you can use the pen tool in polygon mode to create your shape similar to the way of the shape tool, then press ctrl temporarily to change to the node tool to bend any part of the line.

The pen tool in AD is very powerful and has many options.

Try THIS
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host
    IP

it sorta follows illustrator [as you might expect] with their curvature tool

not the same as xara shape tool, but I'd agree with egg here, worth looking into
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

The best feature for me is ‘studio link.’ When you start a project in publisher you can switch between that, designer, and photo ie. You have access to all tools from each program in one document. Designer does most of what I need, but there’s a few tools that I need from photo. For me publisher is worth it just for that.

Plus it’s great for layouts… has nice text wrapping functions to place text around images and such… great for books/magazines/flyers. I def use designer most, but start EVERY project in publisher. Was def worth it for me and my workflow.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    The best feature for me is ‘studio link.’ When you start a project in publisher you can switch between that, designer, and photo ie. You have access to all tools from each program in one document. Designer does most of what I need, but there’s a few tools that I need from photo. For me publisher is worth it just for that.
    Plus it’s great for layouts… has nice text wrapping functions to place text around images and such… great for books/magazines/flyers. I def use designer most, but start EVERY project in publisher. Was def worth it for me and my workflow.
    Beazy, welcome to TalkGraphics. Thank you for your Affinity insights. Are you in a position to compare with the Xara stable? Are you totally into just print and graphics? One could argue that Pro+ is a flexible as you could start with a web design and with one option get a web product and a PDF of the same design.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

Are you in a position to compare with the Xara stable?
    why in this thread, in the off topic forum, should that be even necessary ?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    why in this thread, in the off topic forum, should that be even necessary ?
    Simply because Gary started the Thread with that counterpoint. I was hoping for a measure of comparison or contrast but not conflict.
    I crave discourse.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat
    IP

FWIW The book project went very well and I am very happy with the results. It saddens me that with a few tweaks Xara could be equal to Affinity Publisher when it comes to book creation but if these tweaks/features have not been added in the last 25 years then I must conclude they never will. I'm going to close this thread because I think we are done here.
    IP