Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Web Block suggestions and ideas

Blocks are something I didn't know I wanted or needed, however curiosity made me look to see what it was all about etc., and the fact is its just not there. I've updated until my fingers bled, but modular web sites, there are non. How do I access this modern wonder?

you will need designer pro+ which is xara's subscription as a service model and version 23.1

if you are on the old magix, pay every year only when you feel like it, version 19 or earlier, don't hold your breath, sorry
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I didn't even know Xara had an alternative version to the Magix one. When did that happen? And more importantly do I need to not renew Magix (spelt wrong) when it expires 7/7/23 and move over to Xara Designer proper, should I want to obviously, or what? I feel as though I missed a boat I didn't know was sailing. Are there any major differences, apart from blocks, which I'm fairly indifferent about, to the Xara Designer pro X whatever it is, I'm currently using?

the new xara version you have to pay for every year or it stops working [reverts to a demo mode which, unlike trial mode, dosn't really do anything useful]

the plus side is that it is updated regularly and you get features like the modular websites; the magix version gets updated once a year, and is way behind the curve; but then if you don't need the new things you can save by not updating; you do not need to move to the new pro+ version, you can always try the trial it is a completely seperate program; if you install that and let it lapse you may get offered a discount to keep it

I let mine lapse

was a year or two now since it was launched; someone like acorn probably has all the details at their fingertips....
    Nothing lasts forever...

Nothing lasts forever...

I have downloaded the 14 day trial and there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference on first quick use, apart from the even darker interface. I'll give it a couple of weeks to explore. Not desperate to spend money these days unless I'm getting something new and better.
    Thanks.

apart from the UI, it is mostly content, ie online content catalogue and design gallery stuff - xara now seem very focused on corporate branding and website stuff, rather than good old fashioned graphic design

the release notes cover it

you are welcome

[I trust the snails are keeping well ]
    Nothing lasts forever...

The newest release of Pro+ indicates we can use blocks with our existing websites. Haven’t had time to play with it yet; but will on the weekend.
    Bill Wood
    Charity Web Design
    XARA Pro+. WD17, Designer 17. Premium packages.