Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
being very good at something is never enough in itself, you need a reason to do it; and the reason needs to be one that satisfies/motivates you or you will be going down a dead end - unless you get totally ridiculous amounts of money, but even then it may not make you happy, it is unlikely to last - maybe whilst at school he had such a reason, but not now

I have to either tell stories or make a point, frequently satirical and political, controversial [I am going to miss Mr Johnson]
Fully agree with Handrawn, here. I create art because I must, good thing I have some skills because I am so compelled to create art, I'd probably do it, even if I were bad at it. I create because I must. I have other talents too, and do spend time on those activities as well, but my preference to creating art dominates my time. If I were more compelled to do other things, I would do other things. The point being, your son could have mad talents at creating art, but that's not enough to be an artist - you have to need to create it in order to pursue it or anything at all. He'll come into his own eventually (at whatever activity compells him), most of us do.