Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: The League of Movable Type

HTF, absolutely, oG.

I was so jealous that Apple had commissioned them to create Hoefler Text for Macintosh, but no Windows version. My thirst fibnally sated when Barbara and I bought our first Mac in 1998 and the text came with it.

CrossFont was our solution to making a TTF version for our Windows machines, a reasonably priced program that works even in Windows 10; the OTF file format makes most of the use of CrossFont moot, but every once in a while I come across a PFB than needs porting.

If ya got the bucks (I used to), there's also used to buy from LHF—LetterHead Fonts—and anything I could find from the URW foundry in Germany. It's not common knowledge, but URW OEMs for Adobe, Bitstream, Monotype, Linotype in particular. S it just made sense to me that, for example, a URW version of Roger Excoffin's Banco would be at least as good as Birstream's.

Strike that: Bitstream offers Banco is Bold, all UpperCase. URW had regular and bold Upper and lower case.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Banco.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	126729

Name:  Wind-up-bot-8PNG.png
Views: 5621
Size:  9.6 KB

-g

Thanks for link Gare - just signed up for newsletter. I’ve had ‘Ostrich’ fonts on my PC for years, good to know where they came from! I like it when life loops round and joins up.
    Jon (Jono) Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 19.0.0.64329 DL x64 May 19 2022

I am wondering why Gare's theads are reported? Am I missing something?
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks for the link, Gare.