I question Xara, why?

Take Smart Text Panel 65 (Insert > Panels > Text Panel [Shift+C]); it has a
top left orange handle [that] adjusts the rounded corner of the panel background (and most rectangular SmartShapes have a similar function).
Smart Text Panel 2 doesn't. You cannot increase or decrease the number of grouped panels either.
The "smart" controls are just Resize and Rotate.

To get the same effect as Smart Text Panel 2, you can use Smart Text Panel 65 instead.
Yes, I had to add a Line width. I could have used Smart Text Panel 64 but that exists in the Online Content Catalogue (OCC) so might not be accessible to all.
: Xara fails to advise how these are constructed so it creates reams of identically functional shapes to puff out the OCC.

Here comes the hard bit: Clone twice, align and Group.

What have you gained?

Resize and Rotate still works with the traditional black controls.
Smart transform allows the Group to dynamically resize. I still have Smart transform off and use Alt+Drag instead.
QuickShape tool adds back the "smart" controls but now you have individual control over corners and sizes of panels as well as Margin and Rotate for each.
Want more Grouped panels? Just Ungroup, Clone many, align and Group.

Xara-not so Smart.xar

I encourage you to examine the Xara OCC offerings and challenge them and yourself.
Knowing how to make your own Shapes is a fundamental power of the Xara Desktop application.

Acorn