Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Any compelling reason to keep renewing Pro X annual licence??

Tech support came back. The answer is 'no' - I must have an ongoing support arrangement to get updates I'VE ALREADY PAID FOR. Well that's my the last of my money Magix will be getting.
    Grant

if you want the legal position: you pay for the right to use only, not to own

this has always been the case even before the subscription model, what you got then was the right to use the program without a time limt, but you never got to own the program/updates themselves [ie the code]

same now, except that with the subscription model some parts of the access are time limited

this is all stated in the 'terms and conditions' [EULA] - it catches out a lot of people who don't read and understand them

this is not to defend Xara/magix, personally I think it is a rip off, it's just to say that cavet emptor applies and everyone shouild read them and understand what it is they are actually buying
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    if you want the legal position: you pay for the right to use only, not to own
    this has always been the case even before the subscription model, what you got then was the right to use the program without a time limt, but you never got to own the program/updates themselves [ie the code]
    same now, except that with the subscription model some parts of the access are time limited
    this is all stated in the 'terms and conditions' [EULA] - it catches out a lot of people who don't read and understand them
    this is not to defend Xara/magix, personally I think it is a rip off, it's just to say that cavet emptor applies and everyone shouild read them and understand what it is they are actually buying
    Towards finding the EULA, how many know where it is?

Read https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...?82634-Licence #1 & #10 to ge a readble (not necessarily understandable) RTF version working.
    Xara has not exactly rushed to fix this defect.

Happy reading.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat