Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xara for Mac??

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

I think xara is working towards what is needed. Making a printable file in xara, that can be opened with any of the lesser machines/OS.
    John/DOT

I too would love to see Xara on the Mac. I switched to the Mac after years on the PC, but still use a PC mainly just for Xara. Running Xara through VirtualPC is way, way too slow. Using a Mac compared to a PC is like using Xara compared to any of the other drawing packages..... everything looks beautiful, everything is smooooooth.....everything works.

I know, it's a very hard choice, I LOVE Xara and I LOVE Mac... seeing as I'm often working on location, I can't really drag two systems along..

One way to run Xara on Mac, that is faster than Virtual PC is through remote desktop connection. Put a windows machine somewhere in the house, log in to it from the mac and use Xara that way.

I've tested it over a wifi network and that was do-able. I guess it's even better over a fast ethernet connection.

Yeah Stijn..I'll try that..at work (here)I have fast ethernet, a G5 and a Pentium4
    Greg

I'm really interested in how well that works. The only trouble over wifi was the speed of screen-updates.

If your experiment works out well, I'm moving my old windows machine closer to my mac http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

What they should really do is market Xara X1 as a plugin for Photoshop (on the PC) to get into the Adobe market. Then from the revenue stream, port to linux/Mac. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

Default Re: Xara for Mac??

Does anyone have any suggestions to a Mac alternative to Webstyle ???

I have started switching over to OSX and Xara is one of the few things that I can't find an alternative for?

Just looking for a program to help me with setting up websites / templates / designs etc.

Default Re: Xara for Mac??

You guys need to read the info/press releases on the Xara website

"Xara Xtreme on the Mac
    Ironically, given the dominance of the Mac in graphic design circles, there is no mass-market, high performance, easy-to-use graphic-design tools available for the Mac. For more than 10 years, we've had a continuous stream of Mac users asking, begging, that we port Xara X to their platform. By Open Sourcing the product we believe this is now a practical, realistic prospect.

With the likely elimination of Macromedia Freehand by the Adobe acquisition, Expression being acquired by Microsoft (who are unlikely to create any new Mac versions), this leaves the Mac platform with just a single serious player in this space - Adobe Illustrator. This near monopoly is not good for the Mac platform. We hope that Xara Xtreme on the Mac will change the graphics landscape for Mac users."

They do not set a schedule for achieving this but it looks like it will happen eventually.

Terry

Default update: Xara for Mac??

See:
    http://www.xaraxtreme.org/about/
    There is an XARA for UNIX alpha version posted by a working group, and a request form for MAC OSx developers; was hunting for the link when I found this forum. Should see some good news soon.
    Loved XARA for windows, been waiting for the MAC OSx version, but would love to try the UNIX version too. - HP
    Last edited by Hunter.Peck; 20 October 2005 at 05:36 PM.