Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Site variants that appear to be unlimited

Hello again. I stumbled across the site below and was quite impressed with the way their variants worked. There are a few variant changes as I change the width of my browser as expected. What caught my attention was that the text was reformatting within he individual variants. Is there a way to do this in Xara?

https://www.qinetiq.com/en-gb/about-us

Thanks in advance!

Ed

Default Re: Site variants that appear to be unlimited

Ed, that is a truly responsive website. Xara has taken another direction with variants and that is to let the designer create a variant or two that will work for different size screens. I prefer this because it lets the designer arrange the material specifically and optimally for different screen sizes.

Responsive sites can produce some weird results if they are not extremely well conceived.

Hi gwpriester, thank you for your input! I'm sure that in the wrong hands (mine) the interactive site could turn out to be a disaster.

Ed

Yeh but they are nice when done well, especially for sites devoted to graphics more than text.

I would love to do the same myself but am having to cope with guessing the best page width for the variants I have on my own site.
    I have looked at Mobirise as an alternative for the effects it allows with incrementally varying layout on different page widths and it looks pretty good to me. I'll probably give it a go some time when I have the time at my disposal.
    Last edited by Lynnzer; 27 December 2017 at 08:37 PM.

Hi Lynnzer, I found an article that was a great primer on website variants a long while back. The author wrote that 480, 640, 720 and 960 pixel widths were pretty much universal for viewing on any device. I think the article was a bit dated and the mobile devices are generally larger now. I'm using 1024 and 720 and it is quite readable on any devices I have tested from an iphone to a desktop.

Happy new year!

Ed

The site content is setup at 1500 and anything below that it adjusts. So in reality you can do the same for your main site.