Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Ligatures and Glyphs with new designer X Update

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    Ernie,

I had figured out that the copy and paste worked, I used a font viewer to paste from.
    Ray
    Hi Ray,
    yes I know, but not all users have a fontmanager istalled. So the Windows CharMap makes a good job too and its built in.

The typesetting here in Germany is maybe a little different to the english speeking/writing countrys. We use planty ligatures and there are many rules where and why to use them.

For Xara is this a hard terrain to delliver all. Baut how I wrote before, they did a good job to the ligatures. Others dont do it better. And when You know where and why there must stay a ligature, then I'll set it manaully.

Servus Ernie

Question Re: Ligatures and Glyphs with new designer X Update

Just updated to a new version, and then when I started Xara again, I got the message that there is yet another update. So I did another upgrade, and now I'm at: Xara Designer Pro X 12.6.1.49367 DL x64 Apr 5 2017

However I don't get the ligature button:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	116938

Go to Window/Control Bars... and click "Reset". You will lose any customized toolbar settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Go to Window/Control Bars... and click "Reset".
    Did the trick, thanks! Unfortunately, it's still not possible to select old style numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by feklee View Post
    ...Unfortunately, it's still not possible to select old style numerals.
    Nor contextual alternates, nor the hist feature, nor other of the other 100+ OpenType features.

But it is a good start.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

In regards to the ligatures button disappearing when updating: It happens when you choose to keep current settings on install. If you choose to use default all seems to work fine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

that's interesting - still should not drop off the new stuff though....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    In regards to the ligatures button disappearing when updating: It happens when you choose to keep current settings on install. If you choose to use default all seems to work fine.
    Angelize, does that also mean you lose your customized toolbars?

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Nor contextual alternates, nor the hist feature, nor other of the other 100+ OpenType features.
    There is no option to turn on/off contextual alternates in XDP but I notice that you can also not copy & paste text with contextual alternates from Word into XDP. Seems like quite an omission.

PS: You mention the hist feature is not included. Is this different from the "History" setting?

The hist under ligatures is hlig, which are historical ligatures. Which are different from the hist feature.

The hlig is still a many to one gsub feature (gsub = glyph substitution) like other ligature substitution. With the hist feature, which is a one to one gsub) one can write rules to govern how and when single historical characters are substituted via their contextual settings.