Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: RGB TO CYMK

Default RGB TO CYMK

I'm short on technical knowledge but like to design. I've read some posts on this subject but need clarification. In XARA P&G 2013 are all designs automatically produced in RGB? is it possible to design in CMYK? Is an RGB file automatically converted to CMYK when exported as a PDF file?

Default Re: RGB TO CYMK

Yes and no. How's that for being vague. You can work in simulated CMYK color space. Window > Show Printer Colors > Simulate Print Colors.

This produces a screen image that is closer to actual CMYK output.

You can specify colors in CMYK values in the Color Editor (Ctrl + E or click the color wheel icon on the bottom of the screen).

When you export PDF/X RGB colors are converted to CMYK. Pantone spot colors also export separate from CMYK colors.

Wow, quick response. Much appreciated.

Just happened to be passing through when you posted.

Your printer's profile should have a color key and there's methodologies to adjusting your monitor through detailed settings (some can be automated, but it's not something I have spent a lot of time on since most of my clients are fine with using, for instance, pantone palettes and such), but when using CMYK printing, it helps to have access to a resource for which you adjust your monitor to match that output, that way you have a literal WYSIWYG display. It needs to be regularly calibrated, and there's people who get paid lots of money to do this. If it's extremely important, you may want to seek these services.

I wish I could help more, but simulated print colors will get you closer to the ballpark of what something looks like printed since the garish colors capable in RGB are decapitated. You'll also notice you have less room for vibrancy as well, which as you probably are well aware of, is an issue between backlit and reflected surfaces.
    See my some of artwork and hear some of my music at www.kniteforcerevolution.com