Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reworked my logo. Is it better or worse!

Hi All

I`m no artist so I have no real perspective on such matters. The link below
    shows the new logo. Click any other page to see the old. I thought putting
    a wood moulding frame around the logo would give it more of a woodworking feel.
    Everyone uses saw blades not certain about that.

Regards, Barry

http://o7w3e4.xara.hosting/index.htm

Default Re: Reworked my logo. Is it better or worse!

Hi Barry

In my opinion, an improvement, but too busy. You don't need the two saw blades.

And if I might make a suggestion. What if the logo looked like a blue print (blue lines on a white/off white paper)? This might be more appropriate for your business.

Or another suggestion, what if the panel with the logo is wood, and the logo as you have it now, sits atop the wood?

Hi gwpriester

A good point on the saw blades.
    Yes, I like the blueprint idea. I`m glad I visit here.
    I did experiment with the wood panel. I spent 2 hours trying to remove the background from the logo. It has a black background.
    Some of its detail was removed when I used the software to make the background transparent. In frustration, the current version
    is what I ended up with.

Do you have a larger version of the original logo? I made these two with your current logo but the edges against the wood are a little rough. If you have a larger or higher resolution version I can do a cleaner job of dropping out the black background.

Another option is to recreate the logo and apply it to the wood debossed to make it appear to have been routered into the wood.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logowith blades.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	116041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logowith no blades.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	116042  

Barry, Gary's routered suggestion certainly has an appeal.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Do you have a larger version of the original logo? I made these two with your current logo but the edges against the wood are a little rough. If you have a larger or higher resolution version I can do a cleaner job of dropping out the black background.

Another option is to recreate the logo and apply it to the wood debossed to make it appear to have been routered into the wood.
    Here you go. I`m not sure how much larger this version is. Hope it works. If not I can continue looking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WS_Logo_2017.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	116043

Sorry. It is the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Barry, Gary's routered suggestion certainly has an appeal.

Acorn
    Hi Acorn

I believe this shows the routered option. Did this some years ago on the CNC machine.
    In Brazilian rosewood. Too bad the piece of wood was just a bit short for the size of the logo.
    Maybe I could make another piece. Take a photo of it. Then paste it into the site.

Barry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood logo.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	116045

Brilliant piece of router work, Barry! That's a very good and appropriate direction. A professional photographer could light it evenly and get maximum depth and readability.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Brilliant piece of router work, Barry! That's a very good and appropriate direction. A professional photographer could light it evenly and get maximum depth and readability.
    Hi Gwpriester

If I was to do this. Should the part be made to the size of the site? 960 px x 155.6 px. Or should it be made larger, then reduced in size to fit the site?
    I am no expert on graphic techniques when it comes to images, detail, resolution nor size.