Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: Simple program to learn meshes

Hi Ron. If it is only how to use the tool, these tutorial should help. Picked the second to show how you can use the tool in your type of drawings: http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials...r--vector-1423 http://www.automotiveillustrations.c...ient-mesh.html

It must have been about 4 years ago when we had a discussion on the gradient tool when you were doing the French Horn I think. I have used this tool in Illustrator many times but always thought it was a slow way to draw. You have to have a good understanding of colour and how you want to apply it and think it out beforehand. I am not good at that as I prefer to use transparencies but as you know up until recently transparencies don't print well especially when you add a feather area to your trans. This is why programmes like Illy introduced the Gradient Tool. I am not sure but I think the gradient tool in D/Plus is an RGB effect tool but I could be wrong there as don't have an up to date copy. To go back to Illy and its gradient tool I found it a slow way to draw highlights and shadow lines but I did do a Tibetan boy which I was really proud of a goodly number of years ago.

As for 3D modeling, I found it very difficult to get into and I was off and on it for 6 moths with only a small amount of success. It is far easier now to use 3D programmes and being a technical teacher as well as being an engineer by using a CAD type programme called Inventor from AutoDesk. You draw in orthographic projection and expand it into a 3D rendered view with nearly 2 clicks of a button into any material and texture that you can think about all done from libraries. AutoDesk makes this Inventor programme available to every School free to use as well as all students can also have this programme installed on their own computer at home for free.
    Design is thinking made visual.

Hi Ron—

I thought earlier that my keyboard had run out of words, but I was wrong.

IF: what you really want to do is to be able t manipulate the subject of your drawings in 3D space to get the right perspective ands angles, and even reflections and stuff...

THEN: You buy or download the models you seek at places such as TurboSquid, who often have free, good models, and then you enlist someone who can work with the file and give you what you want for a render you can then draw.

Example: I needed to set up a faux classical music scene about ten years ago, which included a mode of a French horn.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aco-for-color.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	113345

When I have a visual idea, I consider what software would be of the most use. If you're a Xara Kinda Guy, then you probably don't want to go through years of education so you can model something you then draw. That's what cameras are for! :)

Is this making any sense, or should I go back on my hallucinogens?

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 12 July 2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: I'm still learning how to tupe

Gary,
    You're a boatload of information and even more generous than that!!!!!!!!! Thank you!

Frances, Peter and Marc..... Thank you so much!

Where to begin....hmmmmm....
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

You're welcome, Ron.

Can you be more specific about what it is you want to do?

If you have a nail, I'd recommend a hammer.

:)

-g

Or polish Gare

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by haakoo View Post
    Or polish Gare

Hans
    It's certainly worth considering Hans.

But how does being from Warsaw help with Ron's problems?

<Grin, duck, and run>

-g