Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default PNG export -- can't enter DPI number manually

Hi forum,

I need to export a page to a 240dpi PNG file. However, Designer would not let me type more than two digits in the "DPI" text box.

Why is this, and how can I enter the number I need?

Regards
    David.P

Default Re: PNG export -- can't enter DPI number manually

Don't know why that is David. I can type 4 numbers in mine. What does it show if you select 300 from the drop-down? Are you using Xara on a PC?
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

usually follows windows settings - you haven't accidently typed in a full-stop[period] in front have you?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Ah, I just remembered that I had this problem before, and that the solution was very weird: depending on your Windows DPI settings, a three digit number can be wider than that DPI number input box in the Designer export dialog. While normally, this would not prevent you from entering a "wider" number, with Xara it does. Therefore, I had to drag that export dialog wider using a hack called resizenable, and sure enough, I could enter any number I want into that DPI input box.

Hint: this is a bug.
    Last edited by angelize; 07 May 2016 at 07:44 AM.

ah right - not sure that that is a bug as such because xara does not claim to be compatible with anything other than the standard windows settings [which is usually follows very well], and to me a bug is a flaw in a supported feature, not in an unsupported one

but glad you got it sorted
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

In my view it is definitely a programming bug if the number of digits you can enter in a program's dialog is randomly limited, of all things, by the dpi settings of your operating system.

Btw., I just had to install that ResizeEnable hack also on my Win10 laptop (that has a hiDPI screen like every decent laptop nowadays), in order to export bitmaps with a higher than 2-digit-resolution