Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *.Ai and *.eps

Default *.Ai and *.eps

Hello,
    I've been asked to send my designs in AI or EPS format, can I rely on xara exported files in these formats?.
    Best regards
    Javier

Default Re: *.Ai and *.eps

Yes and no. It all depends what the designs are, what they are made of. Certain things in a XAR file can be converted to bitmap. But the files do open in AI. They (the elements of the design) will be contained in multiple masks.

I always at least clean up a design in AI before returning the art to a client. But for those effects, possibly transparent items that will become bitmaps, those will be redone or done in AI altogether.

Mike

How about PDF, Mike? PDF is one of Illustrator's native formats and Xara's support for PDF is more current than their support for .ai and .eps.

Hi Gary,

The old trick out of some software was to rename a PDF to .ai and that works. It keeps the filename and the proper "icon" for opening properly on the end system. Depending upon the contents, exporting to the highest PDF compatibility (Acrobat 8 compatibility in the case of Xara applications that support PDF) can help maintain transparency, but it depends on the object(s) and what transparency is used. The very nature of a PDF is that everything is contained in clipmasks. Xara and some other products are smart enough to remove those clipmasks where appropriate in most cases, AI is not.

If those files will not eventually be opened for editing by even an entry-level designer, often no one is the wiser. In the end, though, without AI one cannot really decide if everything made it into AI properly using the AI filter (which is really a type of EPS filter).

So yes, using a PDF the contents will survive at least in appearance and can be reviewed in at Adobe Reader before handing them off. And I would change the extension before sending it off for the reason above. Good point, Gary.

Mike

Like Mike states your design has to be simple vector. No shadows, bevels, transparency, complex fills, basically all of the RGB effects that Xara can do, possibly also include Blends as well as they come over as a group of shapes which are a pig to edit in Illy. If you design is complex I would send him a PDF as well, they're a lot easier to edit. They will still be left with a lot of clipping masks to sort out to get to your design to modify. I would say this is a good thing gives you more work cos they'll get fed up with the bother of it
    Design is thinking made visual.

Quote Originally Posted by Albacore View Post
    ...They will still be left with a lot of clipping masks to sort out to get to your design to modify. I would say this is a good thing gives you more work cos they'll get fed up with the bother of it
    Or they'll hire someone who will at least return work in proper AI format or simply uses AI.

The filter for AI format needs redone. CorelDraw has pretty good AI support in and out and is updated often enough I haven't had most issues with cross-application trading.

Here's an example of an issue even when all PDF elements are vector. Logo made in XDP X11. In the PDF, Acrobat reports a perfectly made vector PDF:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture-000153.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	112017

When bringing it into AI, it all looks fine:

Name:	Capture-000152.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	112019

But I need to ungroup the contents three times and release the clipmask (there are also 3 of them). Then the transparent bits look like:

Name:	Capture-000154.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	112020

However, blends do survive:

Name:	Capture-000155.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	112021

Which is why I often use blends for shadows in this type of design.

You are great !!!!!, this forum is the best thing xara has, I only need to send the artwork to e printed ,according to your explanation I think I will create a bitmap of the whole file and then a pdf from it.
    They don't need to edit the design only print it, is this option right?
    Best regards
    Javier

Export to PDF is all you need to do. Then open the PDF in Adobe Reader or another quality PDF reader and inspect it (look at it) to make sure it is as desired. If so, send it to them.

Mike

Yes, but I should change the extension to eps or ai because they want it in that format.
    According all the conversation that is what I should do, shouldn't I?.
    Best regards
    Javier

The only reason I know of that someone, especially a printer, wants an .ai file is to open it in Illustrator if only to print from--if not to edit it prior to printing. I would seek clarification as to whether they intend to edit or the printer just load into AI or ID to print from.

But yes, you can just change the extension.