Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A New Font

Default A New Font

Well, not a work of art, but something I wanted to try my hand at again.
    This font is called Duke Ext

Some glyphs are missing still, but not too critical. I like roundness, but I wanted it to look different. Shortened glyphs and rotated c's and small e's were part of the touch.

Hope it passes muster...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duke Ext.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	111568  
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: A New Font

I like it.

I find the Capital "B" to be a bit heavy, but apart from that, a great font. Well done Ron.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Ron, first what exactly are we talking about here? Is this just the artwork drawn in your Xara program? or is this an actual font created with a font creation program and installable on your computer?

If we are just discussing the artwork it's self then all is fine here, but if you are working on an actual font and will be using a font program to create a TT or OT font then you may want to open a new thread in the fonts and typography section

As for the artwork - I like the rotated c's and e's I think that's a nice touch. Like Keith I think the cap b needs work, they way the circles join makes it look too heavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

I like it. Very 1930's.

Could I suggest that option 2 rather than option 1, would lighten the solid mass down the side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016.01.23_15h48m02s_001.png 
Views:	229 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	111571

Also, the capital N looks a bit out of place, you may want to use a large version on the lowercase N to match with the M m ... Just an observation.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I find the Capital "B" to be a bit heavy, but apart from that, a great font. Well done Ron.
    Yes, I agree Keith, now that I see it posted. There are a number of other deficiencies as well, i.e. the parenthesis and the @ sign among others.
    Thanks for sharing!

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    Hi Ron, first what exactly are we talking about here? Is this just the artwork drawn in your Xara program? or is this an actual font created with a font creation program and installable on your computer?

If we are just discussing the artwork it's self then all is fine here, but if you are working on an actual font and will be using a font program to create a TT or OT font then you may want to open a new thread in the fonts and typography section

As for the artwork - I like the rotated c's and e's I think that's a nice touch. Like Keith I think the cap b needs work, they way the circles join makes it look too heavy
    Of course the finished product would have to be done in a font program. The actual production of the shapes/letters/glyphs was all done in Xara as an example of what one can do with the program.
    Thanks for you input, Frances.

Xara's Facebook

Thank you Gary and Paul!

Xara's Facebook

Well done on the letter shapes, Ron. The suggestions on improving some of the shapes are good as well.

If you want it turned into a font, let me know. It would only take an hour or so depending on the final number of characters.

Mike