Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default light effects with brushes

I was playing around with the idea of using art brushes to create light effects and I thought it would make an interesting thread. I've come up with one that I quite like and thought I'd share but also I'd like to see what everyone else might come up with. So lets talk about using brushes to create light streaks, glows, flames what have you. Please feel free to post your brushes and include a brief description of how you created them so we can all learn from each other. Also please feel free to include the brush definition objects in your brush file.

Basically I started with a squashed ellipse with one end pulled out to form a bullet like shape and by cloning and feathering progressively lighter copies and making them smaller each time then clipping them together I added a blue glow and created a single strand brush. I then used this brush to draw a group strands of varying line widths, and used a clipview to clip them into an ellipse then removed the colour from the ellipse. The resulting clipped object was the brush definition object for the final brush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightstreakbrush.png 
Views:	386 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	111392  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: light effects with brushes

31 members have read this thread and no one wants to try their hand at this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thanks for sharing, I'll give it a try. I was searching for a stylized feather brush and found this, looks good!
    sadicus - Win10 ● nvidia 32GB ● XDP17

Thanks for the brush Frances, it also makes decent grass with a bit of gardening

Stygg

Name:	Grass.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	115106  

angelize,

this is my first attempt to ever create a brush. Not bad for a first time, eh?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Light Streaks_Painting with Light.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	115117
    All I did was take an already existing brush and added a glow shadow to it, blurring the shadow. Then I edited the brush, making it capable of editing the colors from the color line.

Now, I must admit it took three tries before I got the hang of it. But now I have two brushes I don't want and have no clue as to HOW to delete them.

Umm...angelize?

When I create my brush, it's great. But when I close down Xara and open it up again, the brushes that I created are gone. How do I make them stay? And how do I "delete" the ones I don't want?

Mark

The problem with brushes is if they're saved in the brush folder they can rapidly increase the load time of Xara as all the brushes are loaded whether you use them or not. So not having them saved is a godsend. What I do is to create a folder named 'Xara Brushes' and save each brush that I like into this as a xar. Then when I want to load a brush I open Xara Brushes, select the xar file with the brush I require, open it, copy and paste it into a new xar document ready for use.

Name:	xara-brushes-folder.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	213.7 KB 
ID:	115147  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

But when I close down Xara and open it up again, the brushes that I created are gone. How do I make them stay? And how do I "delete" the ones I don't want?
    brushes that you create only exist in the/a xara file in which they are used - to delete them just make sure they are not used in the document when you save and exit

brushes that are loaded when xara starts with a blank document, are in a special folder [as xar files] that the program accesses when it starts - you can put your saved brush files there, but see eggs post above

added complication - if you use an art brush, for example, that is in a custom folder, you will find it migrates to 'document brushes' when opening a file that uses it - xara cannot load a brush to memory twice
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Beautiful !!!!
    Javier