Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Exclamation Consider uninstalling QuiickTime for Windows

US-CERT advised today that Windows users should seriously consider uninstalling Apple QuickTime movie player.

Why? Because Apple announced that it's discontinuing security updates for QuickTime for Windows. Unsupported software leaves it open to hacks, and CERN estimates you're 2 to 3 times more likely to attract malware targeting QuickTime for Windows, than if you leave it installed.

How does this impact on your other software and how to play a *.MOV file? Well, I uninstalled QuickTime this morning, and immediately VLC player was appointed the duty of playing MOV QuickTime video files. After Effects (for Windows) complained that QuickTime was no longer installed, but evidently QT is not part of After Effects' core, 'cause it launched and I was able to use it perfectly.

Read the CERN statement and decide for yourself the risk/benefit.

My Best,

Gary
    Last edited by Gare; 15 April 2016 at 11:31 PM.
    IP

Default Re: Consider uninstalling QuiickTime for Windows

Did this this morning when I saw a post on Facebook.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Did this this morning when I saw a post on Facebook.
    So I take it you endorse this move for our Windows members here on tg (and everywhere else)?

My Best,

Gary

P.S. Inmatrix Zoom Player can handle MOV files just as well as the VLC player, and it's more user friendly for novices...and sleek looking. There's the commercial version that I've been using as a replacement for Windows Media Player, and also a free home version, although it's almost 3 years old and available on c.net Free home version download

Go to the inmatrix store here.
    IP

I think this is a knee jerk reaction. I do not believe that QT needs uninstalled from the computer itself. Do uninstalled the plug-in from all browsers. The exact same advice for the Flash browser plug-ins. The same nasties that are being delivered via QT via QT content on the web are being delivered via the Flash plug-in--and have been for years.

To be affected on your local machine for any application that uses QT, it takes download of the infected payloads and running them with your QT preferences not set to ask before running them. I feel if someone is dumb enough to do the above deserves what happens.

Y'all do know that YouTube and eBay are both used to deliver Flash nasties don't ya? Not to mention way too many mainstream news and newspaper websites.

It's a big, bad world out there.
    IP

Some programs eg: certain versions of toonboom, will not run at all without QT installed; some programs may run but certain functions will be lost; in the main it's programs that have been ported over to windows requiring QT for internal video functions and such

do what mike says regarding plugins and settings - then make an informed decision - pedestrians get killed on roads; so if you don't need to cross the busy road don't, but if you do, cross it with your eyes open
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Addendum, not that it makes a lot of difference in your decision, but it is an informational point:

QuickTime is not just a movie player. It's a rendering technology, that most of us only the player when you double-click a MOV file. As an example, Open GL is also a rendering technology, an API. Programs use to display certain types of graphics.

And as a rendering technology, and as Apple engineers write Windows versions of software, this is probably why, as handrawn points out, some programs won't run when they cannot find QT.

-g
    IP