Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How tell google to ignore a page?

To tell google to not index a page, where do i go?
    i thought it would be located at: rightclick, webproperties, then page
    Searched help and forum for seo, sitemap, google, but not finding
    This is something i would think would be popular, but apparently not since it is difficult to find
    Thanks. LeonardSlates.com

Default Re: How tell google to ignore a page?

Quote Originally Posted by leonard55 View Post
    This is something i would think would be popular, but apparently not since it is difficult to find
    Leonard, have a read through https://varvy.com/robottxt.html.

If you need to modify a robots.txt file, Xara cannot do it for you.
    Google "robots.txt generator free".

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by leonard55 View Post
    Create a new text file and into it enter something similar

Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /
    This will 'ask' all search engines not to index any page of your site

Code:
    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /
    This will 'ask' Google not to index any page of your site

Code:
    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /terms.htm
    This will 'ask' Google not to index your page called terms.htm

Save the file as robots.txt

I say 'ask' because a robots.txt file is a simply a request it is upto the respective search engines to comply or not.

Once you have the file, you need to upload it to your root directory, normally the place where the index.htm (Home page) is, the best way to do this is to create a new layer called Design add a placeholder press Ctrl+Alt+Sht+A to attach the file, then make the design layer not visible so it is uploaded but nothing is show.

very disappointed with Xara.
    Serif Webplus 8 has a simple checkbox to tell google to ignore an individual page.
    I want my site indexed, but some pages i do not.
    Editing code makes me nervous, i have never done that. I do not even like to edit my registry.
    Thanks guys. This may make me decide to not use xara, even though i really like some of the features. LeonardSlates.com

Leonard, sorry to hear this but editing a text file is not writing code.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Leonard - You can make a feature request for the next version in the Dear Xara Forum. http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdis...p?56-Dear-Xara

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Leonard, sorry to hear this but editing a text file is not writing code.

Acorn
    I would say it is, after all you are sending a command to a robot, code is essentially a set of instructions which is exactly what a robots.txt file is.

Quote Originally Posted by nazf355 View Post
    I would say it is, after all you are sending a command to a robot, code is essentially a set of instructions which is exactly what a robots.txt file is.
    Disagree. Semantically, it is structured text as is, for example, XML (stands for EXtensible Markup Language). Xara applications produce structured HTML to display objects. Xara designing is not coding. Both examples are levels of abstraction well above coding.

The robots.txt is not sent it is fetched by a robot engine when it decides to go looking. It is akin to a "Do not disturb" sign on your door.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Disagree. Semantically, it is structured text as is, for example, XML (stands for EXtensible Markup Language). Xara applications produce structured HTML to display objects. Xara designing is not coding. Both examples are levels of abstraction well above coding.

The robots.txt is not sent it is fetched by a robot engine when it decides to go looking. It is akin to a "Do not disturb" sign on your door.

Acorn
    XML provides no instructions it's just about describing information, whereas a robots.txt file provides a directive for search engines via a set of user created instructions and where you have instructions you have algorithm and where you have an algorithm you have code. But I think we could go on about this for a while so let's just agree that I am right

1. Retract last Post.
    2. Admit Acorn's right.
    3. End posting in this Thread.