Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Dropshadows to pdf problem

Thanx to you all, Mike's old-school method is nice, but it didn't fix my problem though.
    This is what happened when I exported Mike's version.. (used pdf/x and cmyk, because that's the way I need it to be exported in most cases)
    It seems like the problem is only with pdf/x..

Anders
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Anders; 18 September 2015 at 06:52 AM.

Now I also tried X11.. and the same problem remains

Anders

Use Bob's method using the blend tool. Keeps everything vector so no bitmap effects/raster area
    Design is thinking made visual.

Bob's method could work in some cases, but it really doesn't even come close to a "drop" or "wall" shadow..

Anders - Does this happen when you start a new document? When I worked with your file yesterday all my workarounds did not work.

But when I started a new document the shadow exported fine.

In previous versions if there was a soft shadow, I Converted to Editable Shapes, then un-grouped the shadow from the object. The shadow becomes a simple bitmap with probably a Multiply (Stained Glass) transparency.

@Gary,

Try uploading a sample XAR file that exports to PDF/X properly, Gary.

@Anders,

With transparency on the page, export using the higest Acrobat compatibility instead of PDF/X. While it wouldn't pass a pre-press PDF/X check, the bitmap parts are properly flattened. Otherwise do what (I think) Egg suggested and just make a bitmap copy and export to PDF/X. I would do this in a separate file intended for output only.

Mike

Yes it always happens when I put a shadow on top of any cmyk-color and exporting it to pdf/x - and that's exactly what I need to do.. (working in rgb is not an option.(and I think it's not even even possible with pdf/x))

Mike - That would probably work (not using PDF/X), have to check with my printer if they can work with it..

Anders,

From anything that supports it, I use PDF/X4 which supports live transparency (among other things) and all but the PODs that I use accept them. If you have Acrobat you can post Acrobat 8 compatibility generation, convert it to a PDF/X of any kind without issue.

Mike

Maybe what I am missing here, is using CYMK colors instead of RGB colors and letting Xara do the conversion to CMYK color.
    Attached Files Attached Files