Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to reveal old, almost invisible, text

Hi there,

Now I have a real nice problem that I don't know how to fix.

This is the thing:
    I have an old corner cupboard, two meters high, that is about 200 years old.
    On the inside of one of the doors there is some text written - with white text - that has almost vanished over the years.
    The text consists of initials and a year. That was a custom way of telling who the cupboard was given to as a wedding gift plus the year when this was done. For example it could say "J.H & M.Td 1804"
    What is says on this old wooden door is something I have not been able to find out.
    That is why I am asking for your help.
    How do I get this text visable?

Images (for download) and some more information can be found at http://www.svkurs.se/corner/

Please! I really need help with this and I am thankful for any help you can assist me with.

Mr. Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    Olle Dahlquist
    Web and Graphics Designer
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

Default Re: How to reveal old, almost invisible, text

as the text is white a UV [ultra-violet] lamp might highlight it

there are also some forensic processes, eg dusting, but they require technique or you risk destroying what is left
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks for your reply!
    However I was thinking if there is a way trying to reveal the text using filters etc in Corel Paint Shop Pro X4 or in Xara Designer Pro X10.

Does anyone know?
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

well looking at the photographs it is impossible to tell, at least that is my view - there is no visible detail there when you zoom in

in order to do work with a computer you are going to have to start off with a detailed, sharp, close up photograph, properly lit... only then can you see what, if anything, might be done
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

I tried playing with saturation, contrast, etc but no great results.

I'd definitely try a UV light, perhaps IR too, move the light at different angles.

It's possible that some stain or even water might make the lettering stand out, but invasive techniques are the last thing to try.

Good luck and do tell us how you get on.

I would re-photograph with angled lighting.
    I would also retry photographing at more oblique angles.
    I would also try a polarising filter.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Olle, I have been playing with IrfanView (free download) and img_3884 with Gamma, Channels and Sharpening that is pulling out some more detail.
    I'm guessing the first line looks like "Johann R" and the second starts with a capital ß or a cursive capital B.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you!!

Now I have ordered a farily cheap UV-lamp and when it arrives I will try to see if it will reveal any text.

Since my cameras (Panasonic HX-DC10 and Canon IXUS 70) are quite limited I have no possibility to use filters.

I will get back and let you know what happens with my efforts.

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

I have received the cheap UV-lamp, but it was to weak to reveal anything, so I bought a stronger lamp - with the same result.

My next step is to contact NFC (National Forensic Center) to see if they have the equipment. Otherwise I will continue trying to laborate with the images and maybe another camera.

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se

I just sold the old corner cupboard, so I guess my intentions trying to reveal the text is not needed anymore.

Thanks for your replies!

/Olle
    Olle Dahlquist
    Boden, Sweden
    olle@feelit.se